Mother’s day is right around the corner and we have a sweet (yet simple) little project that would make for the most precious gift. I’m sure most of us haven’t thought about making our moms a present since grade school, but let us assure you that moms never grow tired of homemade gifts from the heart. This stamped ring dish, ours reads “je t’aime maman,” is as thoughtful and sentimental as it is pretty, and makes a precious gift all on its own or paired with a trinket to go along with it!
- Sculpey clay or other oven bake clay product
- Letter stamps (we found ours at Michaels but this set on Amazon is similar)
- Krylon gold leafing paint pen
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Circular cookie cutter or juice glass, ours was 4” in diameter
- Cookie sheet or oven-safe ramekin dish
Step by step:
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees. (Or the recommended temperature indicated on your clay’s packaging.)
- Begin warming and stretching the Sculpey clay in your hand, you’ll need a ball of clay about the size of a golf ball. (The Sculpey clay can be quite stiff, rolling it and working it with your hands will help loosen it.)
- On a smooth flat surface, preferably lined with parchment paper, roll out your clay to ¼” to ½” thick using a rolling pin.
- With your clay rolled out, cut out a circular shape using either a cookie cutter or a juice glass with a sharp knife to trim the clay from around the glass.
- Keeping your clay circle lying flat, gently press your stamps into the clay spelling out your message of choice. Press the stamps just enough to leave an imprint in the clay, avoid pressing the stamps all the way through the clay.
- Once you have finished stamping the clay circle, you will need to shape your clay circle into a shallow dish. You can do this by gently pressing the clay circle into an oven-safe glass or round dish (that is slightly smaller than the circle itself) until the outer edges naturally become raised and resemble a dish. (We placed our clay circle inside of an oven-safe ramekin to shape our dish.) If you don’t have a round oven-safe dish, you can gently form the clay circle into a shallow dish using your hands and place it back on the parchment paper. Don’t worry too much about the shape of your dish being a perfect circle or symmetrical – we think organic edges and textures lend themselves well to the homemade charm of the ring dish.
- With your clay stamped and formed into a shallow dish, transfer the finished product into the oven (placed in an oven-safe dish like a ramekin or on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper) and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Allow your ring dish to cool; it will continue to harden as it does so. After your ring dish has completely cooled, we recommend using a gold leaf marker to add a touch of shimmer to the edges of your dish. (This also disguises minor imperfections and adds some polish to your homemade gift.)
Looking to find some of my favourites in our ring dishes?