Roxanne is thirty today – and we’re wishing her the happiest of birthdays! In celebration of her birthday, we sat down with Roxanne and asked her 30 questions, many of which had been submitted by readers, for this fun post! We’re excited for all of you to get to know the beauty behind the blog as she answers everything we were dying to ask.
- What does your typical morning routine look like? What’s the very first thing you do when you wake up?
First things first I get in a good cuddle with the kids; they typically climb into our bed as soon as they’re awake – if not sooner. Once we’re out of bed, I brush my teeth and drink a tall glass of water.
2. Five all-time favourite, ride or die beauty products. (They don’t need to be specific to face cosmetics.)
Oh this is tough, but I’d say Benefit Watt’s Up highlighter, illuminating concealer, Vichy Mineral 89 Fortifying and Plumping Daily Booster, St. Tropez self-tanner, and Benefit Hoola bronzer.
3. How do you take your coffee?
With a splash of almond milk and maple syrup.
4. Are you and early bird or a night owl?
Both – if I am consistent and go to bed early enough I can easily (and happily) be a morning person, but I tend to stay up late finishing off work once the kids are off in bed so I’m typically a night owl.
5. What’s one thing you love to splurge on?
6. If you could move your family anywhere in the world for one year, where would you go?
Italy or Hawaii.
7. You’ve mentioned that your current home isn’t your family’s “forever home,” what will your next home have that this one doesn’t?
We do plan on moving again one day in the future, but whether we build or renovate is still unknown. In our next home we will be looking for a larger kitchen with separate pantry space. Ideally, we’d also like a main floor playroom dedicated for the kids. We will build another library wall in the next house though, we’re all so in love that feature!
8. When you’re renovating, do you work with a designer for the remodeling and decorating plans?
Craig and I design and plan our renovations ourselves but I ask designer friends for their input if ever I struggle to make a final decision.
9. What is your all-time favourite movie?
I have so many it’s hard to pick just one, if I narrowed it down I’d say The Wizard of Oz, E.T., Goonies, The Godfather I & II, and The Town. What can I say, I’m a movie lover.
10. Who is your celebrity crush?
Chris Hemsworth and Margot Robbie. Both so sexy!
11. What’s your favourite indulgent meal?
Bread. I could easily make an entire meal out of bread and bread alone.
12. What is your favourite thing to cook?
I love to be in the kitchen all day but breakfast foods are probably my favourite to whip up. I love starting the morning with a fresh quiche.
13. Your favourite local (ish) restaurant?
We love Langdon Hall Hotel, it’s currently our favourite.
14. How have you encouraged Ella and Noah to become such healthy eaters?
We have taught them to appreciate the food they are given, and we continue to introduce new foods them, encouraging they at least try everything they’re offered. It’s okay to dislike things, but we want them to at least try.
15. Do you have any bad habits? Eating or otherwise?
I guess you could call my weakness to bread a bad habit, I seriously could not turn down a croissant.
16. Who is more like you, Ella or Noah? In what ways?
Oh gosh, they’re both so much like Craig and I. Ella is feisty, determined, and stubborn like me. Noah is my sweetheart; he’s loves to cuddle, just like me.
17. Why did you start your blog?
Initially I was craving a creative outlet. As it began to transform into a growing business I know it could offer me a career with the freedom to be creative, something I could do from home while being with Ella and Noah, and a way to inspire other women. I’ve always wanted to be my own boss and have the ability to decide what my work would be centered on as it changed with our lifestyle.
18. How do you manage your full-time business with two young children? Do you have a nanny?
No, we do not have a nanny but it’s a frequently asked question. Thankfully my mom helps me care for the kids on the days that don’t allow for multitasking while I’m with them. It took me a little while to find a healthy balance between work and mothering. It’s also always changing – staying organized and keeping lists is crucial for me to remain on top of things. Learning to accept help when it’s offered and getting enough sleep is also so important when trying to maintain balance!
19. What does Craig do? Is he in construction? Do you think he would ever work on the blog with you?
Craig is an engineer but he loves doing construction as a fun hobby on the side – I keep him pretty bust and I’m so grateful that he knows how to do so much. I think he enjoys helping me with the photography blog work – he loves flying the drone or giving me input when we edit videos but he has no interest in writing content or blog posts – haha!
20. Do you and Craig ever disagree about decisions you’re making for the home or through your renovation process? If so, how do you typically handle that?
Not as often as I would have expected, we are usually on the same page with design. However, I’m sure like most husbands he does bring me back to reality if I’m going over budget with spending, which does tend to happen!
21. If you weren’t blogging, what career path would you have taken?
Probably writing or acting, I obviously love creative arts. I also love music and once upon a time I did consider pursuing a career in music coordination. I think I would have loved putting together that perfect soundtrack for a movie.
22. What’s the hardest part about being a blogger?
I think the hardest part is learning how to divide and prioritize your time, especially as a parent.
23. What’s your favourite part about being a blogger?
I love inspiring others to pursue their dreams, sharing what I love with my audience, and most of all having the time I do with my kids.
24. How much time do you spend on your blog each week?
Typically I personally spend between 40-50 hours a week on the blog.
25. What is your number one tip for using Instagram if you’re trying to grow your following?
Engagement is very important, I’d even say it’s key. I enjoy spending a lot of time engaging with my audience and other bloggers – I truly invest time into it each day. Learning about your audience is also important, what time of day are they most active and eager to engage with you on Instagram. Also posting content or images that you are genuinely passionate about and represents your brand – it comes through in your work.
26. Who does the photography for your blog?
If I’m not shooting things myself or asking Craig to help out, I work with photographers. We also have an exciting studio in the works too!
27. You’ve mentioned growing your team – how did you know it was time to add members to Bonjour Bliss?
This was a tough decision for me, I have a hard time letting go of some control of my business and I also struggle to ask for help. I was feeling rundown, overwhelmed with all of the work behind the campaigns, and was struggling to keep up. Being a mother is my first and most important role; I knew it was time to hire help so that I could be the mom I wanted to be while also having a career.
28. Who is the Girl Boss that you look up to and admire?
I admire so many women, so many boss babes! I love and am pretty much in awe of the empire Oprah has built. And of course Gwyneth Paltrow.
29. What would you love to see from Bonjour Bliss over the next 5 years?
Even more of what I have always loved. I’m striving for an increase in organic posts, more home tours, and of course sharing my favourite recipes!
30. What are your final thoughts on turning 30?
I feel like it’s a new chapter. I was really excited for this birthday! So much has happened in my 30 years and I am so grateful for where I am in life and my sweet little family.